7.15.2016

A Change of Plans

There are some days when you wish you never got out of bed.  Everything that can go wrong, does.  That was today but this isn't about that.

I had plans.  I changed them twice.  Originally I had planned to take my boys to the Victoria Gardens at Wollman Rink in Central Park.  Then I decided to go see Tarzan with my friend because I had been craving Haitian food.  Let's just say I was really looking forward to seeing Tarzan; only all my plans went to hell in a hand basket.  After a week of bad sleeping pattern my insomnia struck with a vengeance at the stroke of midnight.  Being turned into a pumpkin would have been a blessing in comparison.

After a futile hour of tossing and turning I turned to drugs.

I know, Staten Island, drug problems, you think this is getting interesting.  Not that kind of drugs.  They were over the counter kind that can be found in most drug stores although in some neighborhoods you'd need a manager's key to access them.  It eventually knocked me out; I overslept and ended up being late for work.

I could go on in tedious details about all the things that went wrong with my day.  But that is not what this is about.  It's about plans and how plans can change on a whim.

Needlessly to say, I was fed up with the day.  I left work early, hopped on a bus, slept in traffic for an hour before finally going home.  Grilling in this heat seemed like a good idea.  Only that didn't work out as we had a gas scare.  Not wanting to blow up the house and everyone in it, we decided to head to the diner for dinner.

I was supposed to be in Brooklyn tonight.  But instead I ended up at a diner being waited on by a very tired looking single mom.  My circumstances had caused me to abandon my original plans.

The mundane details doesn't matter.  Neither does the circumstances.  I didn't plan on being where I ended up.  But God had plans that required me to be exactly where I ended up.  My husband makes our oldest repeat the following every morning.  "I am a leader, I am blessed.  I'll be a blessing.  I'll be my best."

Today I got to be in the right place, at the right time, to witness something extraordinary.  I don't know what God's plan is for that single mother.  I only know that I played a small part in a much bigger plan.  The plan wasn't for me but I got to play a part in the fulfillment of God's plan for someone else.

As Christians it is important to remember that we were called to be salt of the earth, a light in the darkness.  We were commanded by Christ himself to show our love for Him by feeding his sheep.  It's more than just attending church service, or church programs.  We need to see the minuteness of us and the grandness of Him.  It is His plan and we should be so blessed as to get a small walk-in part.

No comments:

Post a Comment